In the past 24 hours, I have consumed the following: beer, buffalo wings, mini cheeseburgers, curly fries, more beer, half an Elmo, gummy bears, a sandwich, cookies, spice drops, cheese and crackers. I also bought a pizza. It shockingly hasn’t made its way into the oven yet. Some things in this world are inexplicable. Pinstripe Bowl just kicked off and it’s snowing out. Things can change.
Captain Obvious says: FAILEO to the umpteenth degree.
Like the rest of this country, I’m dropping the iron curtain on the junk on January 1st, so I can eat clean and get ready in the final few weeks leading up to CT’s Fittest, Fastest, Freakiest Throwdown on January 19th. Comp WODs have been released, and it’s time to hop back on it so that I can be healthy and continue to post some awesome recipes for everyone in the new year.
I got a full-size food processor for Christmas. I’m really excited about it.
So… if you’re like me and plan on doing the same (SCFers I’m looking at you), once you clean out the kitchen, you’re going to need to stock up on GOOD stuff so you don’t fall back into the non-paleo trap of Easy Mac and other dumb food like that. Cleaning the kitchen really isn’t that hard. See?
Below is a good list of paleo basics to carry you through a week:
The Produce Section
- White Onion – I love these. It’s a stir fried, sauteed, caramelized kind of love.
- Green Peppers – As soon as you get home, cut them up. Snack time solved.
- Celery – Do what I said about the peppers.
- Zucchini – Fritters, side dishes, ‘fries’.
- Romaine Lettuce – For roast beef wraps! Nice segway into the fact you also need…
- Pickles (Disclaimer: Not my fault if Snooki shows up on your doorstep)
- Bacon. Uncured, no nitrates added. Trader Joe’s does it well, and believe it or not Oscar Mayer has upped his game with the new Selects Smoked Uncured variety. Breakfast breakfast breakfast is key.
- Grass-fed beef tenderloin
- Ground Beef
- Ground Turkey
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- At least one kind of fish. Tilapia, Scallops, Shrimp… your call.
- Almond Butter
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Coconut Oil
- Buffalo Sauce. My preference is the classic Frank’s Red Hot.
- All-natural marinara sauce – as with pickles, read the labels and try to avoid purchasing anything with sugar listed
- Spices! This is one thing I discovered that will help you get over the fact that you shouldn’t be eating cheese anymore. This is why I’m lucky that my town has an Ocean State Job Lot. Spices are DIRT CHEAP and my wallet loves it. You can go savory and sweet. Cinnamon, Garlic Powder, Nutmeg, Oregano, Paprika, go crazy.
- Raw Honey
- This one’s up for debate. They’re all natural, but they’re still chocolate. Enjoy Life Mega Chunks.
Look at all the delicious stuff you can come up with… all made with items on this list.
What other staples land on your paleo shopping list?