So, I spent almost ALL of June eating my way through Austin, TX. I can now see why Paleof(x) is there every year. SO MUCH GOOD FOOD ALL OVER THE PLACE. What I noticed in my few BBQ adventures (Iron Works & Franklin BBQ to be specific) is that it’s totally normal to serve a plate of meat with a side of pickles and raw white onion. If you think it will give you dog breath afterwards, you’re correct. But damn it is good. So… back into the kitchen I go to attempt to recreate a mouthful of brisket… in a burger.
Just in time for your 5th of July BBQ… because let’s face it, yesterday was a bit of a washout.
- 1lb Grassfed Beef
- 1 tsp Chipotle Flakes
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 White Onion
- An equal amount of Kosher Dill Pickle. In my case it was something like 4-6 long ‘sandwich slices’
- Sir Kensington’s Sriracha Mayo (Omit to remain strict paleo)
1) Chop raw white onion and dill pickle until they’re about the consistency of a good pico de gallo.
2) Season the mixture with a generous amount of spices. I used approx a teaspoon each of chipotle & cumin, then about half tsp of garlic powder, plus S&P to taste. As always, feel free to improvise and add/subtract as you see fit.
3) Once you’ve seasoned and taste tested the pickle/onion mix to your liking, work it straight into the beef, being careful not to overmix.
4) Throw these bad boys onto the grill, Garnish with any and everything you like to make it as paleo or not as possible.
Pickles and onions IN the burger. That’s right up with cooking jalapenos & onions INTO the taco meat. Why don’t I think of these things sooner?