Fun happenings in Occasional Faileo land, folks! In the past 24 hours, I’ve set up both Instagram and Twitter accounts for the blog, so my combination of irrelevant humor and mundane posts about my own life no longer clutter up your feed, when all you really wanted was some food.
Twitter should sell extra characters, because my blog name was ONE character too long – so now, it’s @OccasionalFaleo. #itshouldbefaileo #wouldhavepaid$5forthatextraletter #ican’tstandmisspellings
Instagram was much more generous with its letter allotment. Insta, you win. Head on over and give me a follow, because who else do you know thathas an avatar of themselves posing with a knife full of grassfed butter?
NEW ENGLAND… PLEASE STEP UP ON DEFENSE. Offense too. Hell – please channel your 2007 selves and open up a can of high-flying whoopass on these guys! (Sorry… watching NE vs KC on Monday Night Football as I write this.) If the Pats get whomped, then my friend who lives in KC surely won’t let me hear the end of it anytime soon.
On to the real reason why you’ve come to visit my little corner of the internet today. MOVE ON OVER, Russell Stover. There’s a new chocolate-covered piece of delicious in town. If you gave up on Reese’s PB Cups because those little buggers aren’t paleo… ladies and gents I’ve found your answer.
Vanilla Almond Butter Truffles
For the Filling
- 6 Pitted Dates
- 6 Dried Figs
- 1/2 cup Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter
- 1/4 cup Dried Coconut Flakes
- 3 tbsp Almond Flour
- 3 tbsp Coconut Flour
- 2 Pinches of Salt
For the Coating
- 1 cup Enjoy Life Mini Chips or Mega Chunks
1) In a food processor, pulse the Figs & Dates together until they’ve broken down into fairly small pieces. When you’ve given up hope on the pieces getting any smaller, move on to the next step.
2) Time to mix in both the Almond Butter and Coconut Flakes.
(If you don’t have Justin’s on hand, feel free to substitute plain Almond Butter and add in some pure vanilla extract to get the same flavor. I won’t judge. As delicious as Justin’s is, that -ish is EXPENSIVE. The only reason it’s in my kitchen is because Whole Foods actually had it on sale recently.)
3) Lastly, incorporate the flours and salt. You want the mixture to be somewhat dry, but somewhat sticky all at the same time. Think… like the inside of a Reese’s PB Cup.
4) Roll tablespoon-sized portions of the mixture into little balls and place onto a wax-papered cookie sheet. Feel free to flatten them a little. This means more surface area later for chocolate!
5) Chill in freezer for at least an hour.
[Cue hourlong loop of Jeopardy theme]
6) In the microwave, melt the Enjoy Life Chocolate. Then smother each piece in chocolate. 1 cup of Mega Chunks got me by for the 14 truffles
7) Return to cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator until the chocolate coating hardens.
GAH the Patriots are down by 27 points with 4:40 left in the 3rd quarter. Good thing I made these. This lack of chemistry on the Patriots offense is making me want to eat my feelings.
*Overnight chill the candies in the fridge period passes*
OH MY GOD THESE THINGS ARE AMAZEBALLS. I want to eat them all.